Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Keine Zwiebel, bitte!

When I was 24, I chopped my first onion.

My father gets sick when he he eats them, my mother doesn't really care for the taste, and we never, ever ate them at home.  When we go to restaurants, my father (sometimes) politely tells the waitress.  "I am allergic to onions.  Please make sure there are no onions on any of the plates you bring to the table.  If I've ordered something that has onions, tell me and I will order something else."

And then we get a plate covered with leeks or something and he gets pouty.

Anyway, my husband has a German mother and a father whose family is also from Germany.  There are onions.  Lots of onions of all types.

Onions like us Italians use Garlic!

It finally occurred to me that I had never checked to see if *I* was allergic to onions, despite avoiding them in all ways possible up until this point.  So, I went to the source of all bare-bones, here's-what-you-need-to-know-about-x-food cooking knowledge: Alton Brown.

I think it was his episode about making stock (changed my life!), but he showed how to dice an onion, making cuts like lines on a clock, then slicing down for perfect dices.  Genius!  He didn't show you how to peel it.  He assumed you knew how to do that.  How could he expect that someone could be so fresh out of the onion closet as I was?

I knew at least that you have to peel off the dry outer layers of an onion, because that papery stuff isn't for eating.  I knew they make you cry, because anyone who's watched any cartoon ever or this Shakira music video knows that.  But until last night, I had always made a careful one-layer-deep cut in the skin, peeled it off bit by bit, then sliced the onion in half for chopping.

In case your situation is exactly like mine and you've lived under an onion free rock listen carefully:

Chop the onion in half.  Then peel it.

Assuming you have a need for one onion a week, I just saved you about 1 hour over the next year.  You're welcome.

While I was googling around for a photo of Alton chopping an onion, I discovered that he's coming to Pittsburgh in less than one month!  WOW!

I'm wondering if there are any readers out there, and if you've had a head-smacking "Duh!" moment in your cooking adventures lately.  I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment